The Aragonese house in Fordongianus, dates back to the late 1500s and the early 1600s. It could be considered the emblem of the traditional inner-Sardinia houses (particularly of Fordongianus and Abbasanta’s areas). It mixes international architectural elements, due to the Spanish influence: its front porch, its doors and windows decorated with pebbles, make the house magnificent.
The porch was restored and reassembled during the 1980-82s works. The yard is located in the back of the building, with a side entrance. On the contrary, in the houses from the Campidano’s area of Oristano and Cagliari, the porch (sa lolla) is located in front of the entrance, and it is surrounded by walls with a portal. The house contains thirteen rooms, divided into two housing units. The first unit, acquired by the Municipality of Fordongianus in 1978, contains seven rooms (three located in the front part and the other fourth in the back) on the same floor, with a porch.
The second unit, acquired by the Municipality in May 2009, has four rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs. Originally, these two units belonged to the same building and they were connected through a door, then replaced with a wall in the 1800s. The house was built through the employment of red trachyte, a local volcanic rock. The doors and the windows are decorated with late Aragon-Gothic and Renaissance style elements.
The house originality is due to special details, as for instance its built-in closets and its stone benches. Its roof is made of wood and reeds, and tiles. The backyard contains other areas, as the shed, and an area for the farm wagons.
Since this house well represent the Sardinian traditional architecture, it was reproducted in 1911 in Rome, in Piazza d’Armi, for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of Italy’s unification.